In this article, I’ll show you what to do if Apple Books crashes and returns you to the home screen.
There may be a software update that can fix this problem with crashing. This may be fixed by updating your iPhone, iPad, and the app. How to do it:
- Go to Setting > General > Software Update on your iPhone or iPad. And do what it says on the screen.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Books app on your device after you’ve updated it. Tap your profile icon in the App Store, then tap Update next to Books (if there is an update).
Check Internet connection
If your Internet connection is not stable, books may not work as they should. Make sure your iPhone or iPad can connect to Wi-Fi or a cell network. You could also:
- Turn on Airplane Mode, then turn it off.
- Start up your modem/router for Wi-Fi.
- Make sure that Use Cellular Data is turned on for Books if you want to use it over cellular. Go to Settings and tap Cellular to check this setting (Cellular Data).
Reinstall the Apple Books app
- Touch and hold the Books app on your phone or tablet.
- Tap Uninstall. If the app moves around, tap the (-) icon to get rid of it.
- Tap Delete App.
- Now, turn your iPhone or iPad back on.
- After your device restarts, go to the App Store. Find Books.
- Then get it and put it in.
Restart the App
- Open your device’s App switcher:
- With a Home button, an iPhone or iPad: Click the Home button twice.
- Without a Home button, an iPhone or iPad: Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen and stop in the middle of the screen.
- Find the app for Books. And hit the up arrow.
- Then, turn on your iPhone or iPad again:
- Go to Settings, then General, and then Shut Down.
- Wait until your device is completely turned off.
- Then hold down the power button until you see the Apple logo.
- Open the Books app when your iPhone or iPad starts up. Does it work now?
Apps that freeze or crash usually do so because of memory problems, like when the device is running low on internal storage. The same thing can happen if an app isn’t up to date or if it gets corrupted after installing updates.
Check how much space you’re using, get rid of apps you don’t use, or temporarily stop using apps that take up a lot of space. Crashes could be caused by not having enough space to store data. If this is the problem, you should learn how to save space on your iPad so this doesn’t happen again. Install any available iPadOS updates.
If your Internet connection is not stable, books may not work as they should. Make sure your iPhone or iPad can connect to Wi-Fi or a cell network. You could also: Turn on Airplane Mode, then turn it off.
Open the Settings app and tap “Safari” from there.
Tap on “Clear History and Website Data.”…
Tap Clear in the Clear History and Data dialog box to confirm that you want to do this.
If your iPhone is having trouble connecting to the Internet, Apple Books might not work the way you want it to. In this case, you will usually get an error message telling you what went wrong. To fix the problem, you can turn off and on your phone’s Wi-Fi connection again.